The Dresden Condominium
 
Login | Register
 
Home
About Us
Our Location
Listings
Photographs
Contact Us
 
2014 DC Condominium Act With Summary
Board Members
Business Directory
Condominium Documents
Committees
Emergencies
Forms
Managing Agent
Request Manager
Resident Directory
Monthly Minutes
Newsletter
Notices
Staff
 
 
About Us

The eight-story Dresden was built at the corner of Connecticut Avenue and Kalorama Road in 1909 by developer Harry Wardman and was designed by his chief architect, Alfred H. Beers.  It is located in the Sheridan Kalorama Historic District.
 
It has one of the most distinctive features among apartment buildings in Washington, D.C. -  a “rounded façade” that incorporates slightly pie-shaped units in three of its eight tiers.

The majestic Dresden was a rental property until it was converted into a 62-unit condominium residence in 1974.   

The Dresden’s first-floor façade on Connecticut Avenue and Kalorama Road has an elegant terra cotta decoration including eighteen massive windows with scrolled keystones set within the limestone façade.

The Dresden’s current entryway and lobby area, updated in 2012, welcomes visitors and residents into an elegant building that still retains much of its original design with wide hallways and maroon and white ceramic tile floors with their original Greek key borders.  The building also has a handsome and lush rooftop garden with spectacular views of Washington, D.C.  The garden is a pleasure to visit throughout the spring, summer and fall months.

Originally, Harry Wardman included a small lawn at the rear of the building that has long since been converted to a parking lot. The lot provides 24 unit-owners with accessible surface parking spaces – an unheard of benefit for an early 20th Century apartment building in Washington, D.C. 
 
Early History
 
In 1795, Gustavus Scott, a commissioner for the District of Columbia purchased property that had been a portion of Anthony Holmead's "Widows Mite" holdings in what was then primarily rural in the northwest area of Washington City.
 
In 1807, the noted poet Joel Barlow bought the property and renamed it Kalorama, which translates from Greek as "fine view."

In the early 1880s, the subdivision of the Kalorama area began. In 1893 Congress ordered L'Enfant's design of the city of Washington extended outward to include the rest of the District. Existing developments were exempted, which is why Kalorama is one of the few portions of D.C. that does not comply with the city's grid system for streets.

Two high bridges over Rock Creek became important to the development of both sides of Kalorama in this period, the Calvert Street bridge (now the Duke Ellington Bridge), built in 1891, and the William Howard Taft Bridge, with its impressive concrete lions, built in 1907, which carries Connecticut Avenue over Rock Creek Park.

Neighborhood Boundaries
 
Sheridan-Kalorama, also known as Kalorama Heights, is bounded to the north and west by Rock Creek Park; to the south and west by Massachusetts Avenue N.W.; and to the south and east by Florida Avenue and Connecticut Avenue N.W.

It is accessible by Metrorail by the Woodley Park and Dupont Circle stops on the Red Line.
 
Notable Sheridan-Kalorama Residents and Residences
 
Sheridan-Kalorama was the home of five former or future Presidents in the early 20th century:
  • Woodrow Wilson purchased a house at 2340 S Street, NW, in 1921, and lived there until his death three years later. Following the death in 1964 of Wilson's widow, the Woodrow Wilson House was designated a National Historic Landmark and is now a museum.
  • William Howard Taft lived at 2215 Wyoming Avenue, from 1921 until his death in 1930. The house is now the Syrian Embassy.
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt lived at 2131 R Street from 1917 to 1920, while Assistant Secretary of the Navy. The house is now the residence of the Ambassador of Mali.
  • Warren Harding, then an Ohio Senator, lived at 2314 Wyoming Avenue from 1917 to 1921. The house was built in 1915 in the Federal style. It is now the residence of the Ambassador of Monaco.
  • Herbert Hoover, when appointed Secretary of Commerce in 1921, purchased a house and  lived there with his family until his inauguration in 1929 and after leaving the White House from 1933 to 1944. It has been the Embassy of Burma, then Myanmar since 1954.
Other notable former Kalorama residents include Supreme Court Justices Charles Evans Hughes, Louis Brandeis, Harlan F. Stone and Joseph McKenna, and Federal Reserve Governors Adolph C. Miller and Frederic Adrian Delano. More recent ones include the late U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy, former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, and historian Elizabeth Eisenstein.
 
The Sheridan-Kalorama neighborhood also includes a number of diplomatic residences, such as the residence of the French Ambassador at 2221 Kalorama Road, as well as several embassies. On its Southern border it includes much of Embassy Row on Massachusetts Avenue.